||Crisis Intervention Model
Establish rapport - connect on a feeling level
Assess suicide / homicide risk
- How are you feeling?
- Sounds like you're feeling... (lonely, defeated, etc.)
- I'm glad you are here.
- That scared (worried, troubled) you?
- Are you thinking about killing yourself or someone else?
- What do you mean when you say... (you're at the end of your rope, you can't take anymore)?
- Have you thought about how you would kill yourself? Do you have the means (pills, gun, rope)? When are you thinking about doing this?
- Have you shared these thoughts with anyone?
Clarify the situation and explore the problem
- What has happened today/tonight?
- What brought you to this point? OR What happened before now that contributed to this?
- How long have you been dealing with this?
Explore resources / Problem-solve
- What would help you most right now?
- Who had been supportive of you in the past?
- What have you done before that helped?
- How can I help? What do you need from me?
- Have you thought about trying... Would that work?
- If anything were possible, what would you like to happen?
- If you wanted to feel better, what would you do?
- What would you tell a friend in this situation?
Summarize and define a goal
- What is most important to do or consider next?
- What needs to be handled first?
- What do you see as your first step?
- How will you go about doing this?
- Would you promise to come back or talk with someone here before doing anything to hurt or kill yourself?
Crisis Points >>
:: Return to Crisis Information ::